Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Movies

This past week I watched three movies (which is not unusual for me).

First up, it was "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I liked this movie, but think it would have been easier to follow had I not DVRed it (having to fast forward through the commercials ruined the continuity). I thought the movie was smart, but it had its strange moments. It reminded me of "Being John Malkovich," which I also enjoyed. After the movie, I asked Meg if she would ever erase someone from her past and she said yes. She went on to say that sometimes relationships are not worth the pain. I totally disagree. I think the pain is what makes future relationships better. Sometimes relationships do end badly, but the pain eventually subsides and you move on (apparently, I am the type that moves on quickly...evidenced by the number of people that are "Dead to Me.").


On Martin Luther King Day, Meg and I went to see "Gran Torino." We ended up seeing half the town there! I was very disappointed with this movie and hated the ending. The movie did have a good message about getting rid of past prejudices and helping one's neighbors, but felt that the car had very little to do with storyline. By the way, the acting (other than Clint Eastwood) was TERRIBLE. If you enjoy the, "Go ahead and make my day," Clint Eastwood, then you will probably enjoy this movie. However, I would suggest waiting until it goes to the $2.00 move theater (which should be soon!).



On Saturday, Meg, Roma, Liz, and I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire." I can't even express how wonderful this movie is (it is definitely living up to its hype)! I was worried about having to read subtitles, but it was no big deal (the movie is VERY easy to follow). The visual images in this movie really stay with you. I was shocked to see the slums of Mumbia and to realize that people actually live there. It makes me very appreciative to live in The United States. Compared to those in the movie, we are very lucky. The story is incredible. I had seen very few previews, so I was intrigued at every twist and turn. This movie is an amazing portrait of the human spirit. I urge you to go and see this ASAP, no telling how long this movie will be in WF.

The balcony is now closed...

1 comment:

  1. Instead of doing my own blog, i'll just respond to yours : )

    What I said was that I'd erase someone right after a breakup. Obviously in retrospect everything's fine & you can find a lesson learned in there somewhere. But with a fresh breakup on the brain, of course i'd erase someone from my memory. Which is what the characters did and why I got so emotional because I could totally identify.

    I kind of a agree on Grand Torino. Since seeing it already, I'd suggest to others to only spend $2 on it. I'm still sticking with my comment that Million Dollar Baby was better.

    TOTALLY agree on Slumdog! Great movie!

    ReplyDelete